Elizabeth recently expressed interest in vitamins. She takes a multivitamin every morning, and I think the interest stemmed from this - thanks for pointing that out, Veronica! So I got online and found this site which offered a concise overview of the different vitamins. I got in my head that we should make a chart. It has four rows: the vitamin, fat or water soluble, what it does for us, foods that contain the vitamin. So we're taking a vitamin a day and learning about it. Here's what Elizabeth's chart looks like so far:
The process looks like this:
- I read a little to Elizabeth about the day's vitamin.
- Elizabeth has to write the vitamin letter.
- She writes FAT or WATER to indicate whether it's fat or water soluble.
- She draws pictures or write words to show how the vitamin helps our body.
- We get online and she types vitamin 'x' foods into google and we choose a page to find foods with the vitamin.
- She cuts pictures of the foods out of the weekly grocery flyers and glues them onto the chart.
- web searching
- where foods are in the flyer and grocery store (eg. cheese and milk are dairy, fruits and veggies are produce)
- cutting and pasting
- how to read a chart